15 Best Men's Shoe Shopping Tips
When you're buying new shoes for yourself, there are certain things you should keep in mind. Don't just get lured in by the latest footwear style, but try to check out if the latest footwear style can become your fashion statement, too. Always look out for quality products. Acquire knowledge and then make an intelligent choice. Think about whether your new shoes will still be part of your wardrobe years from now. These, along with other tips on buying shoes for men, are things everybody should know before they head to a store.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "Let the people know the facts and the country will be safe." While shopping for men's shoes isn't quite as important a task as running a country, the point is that it's healthy to make conscious decisions in life instead of petty ones, which includes selecting the right pair of comfortable fashion shoes. One mistake now can make you regret your footwear choice in the future. Shoes are one of the biggest factors in both your fashion style and physical comfort. Therefore, you should take your time and get a pair that looks and feels right on you. This men's shoes quick guide provides 15 tips that will enable you to select the right pair of shoes the next time you need them.
General Shoe-Buying Tips
- Ensure fit and comfort when looking for a pair of shoes. After all, you're going to be spending a lot of time in them - sore feet will affect your whole physical appearance. If comfort is what you are looking for, then don't be afraid to try out some specialty sneakers.
- Know your foot size in both length and width. Some shoe stores have specialists that can measure your feet. You can also measure them yourself and compare the results to a brand's sizing chart.
- Don't just buy any local brand shoes. Look for some durable branded shoes that are capable enough to take care of your feet. Your shoes will get more use than almost anything else in your wardrobe, so you should be willing to invest in the right pair.
Where & How to Shop for Shoes
- If you want to have more choices, then visit an online store. These typically have a larger selection of styles than brick-and-mortar stores - especially department stores where the shoe section is small. The big advantages of in-person men's shoe-shopping are being able to try things on and speak directly with any specialists on staff
- Don't hesitate to buy shoes on sale. This footwear is usually at a discount so the store can make way for new models, not because there's anything inherently wrong with it. It's a great way to get quality shoes at a lower price. Make sure they're the right type for you, though - it's not much of a bargain if your feet hurt all day.
- Shop for shoes in the afternoon or evening. Your feet expand during the day, so shoes that are just right in the morning will feel tight by day's end.
- Don't focus on the latest styles and trends. Instead, put your emphasis on finding shoes that are good for your feet.
- When you find something you like, consider buying two or three pairs - especially if they're on sale. Shoe companies are always revamping their line-ups, and the shoes you love now might not be available anymore when it's time for a new pair.
What to Look For
- Ensure there is enough space in the shoes for your toes to breathe so they don't get sweaty or sore.
- When trying on shoes, wear the same style of socks that you plan to wear with the shoes after buying them.
- If you are looking for dress shoes, then make sure they match or contrast the color of your outfit.
- Stand and walk around in each pair of shoes you're considering. They should feel good from the start without needing to be broken in.
- Be clear about what purpose you are buying shoes for. Decide on the formality of an event and whether they look appropriate for the occasion. If the shoes are for daily wear, then focus on comfort. If you are suffering from foot problems such as over-pronation or plantar fasciitis, then you can go for custom shoes. These provide the style you love and, at the same time, give you the perfect fit you need to have.
Other Shoe-Buying Rules for Men
- Generally speaking, choose conservative shoes over edgy shoes. Otherwise, you run the risk of your expensive new shoes looking dated and old-fashioned just a few months after buying them.
- Your shoes should always be as dark as or darker than the pants you're wearing with them. Don't get brown shoes or white shoes if you only have black pants in your closet. Black men's shoes are a safe choice that goes with pretty much every pants color.